1. The best temperature for storing wine is a constant 50 to 60 degrees Fahrenheit. Avoid dramatic fluctuations in temperature.
2. Wine is disturbed by vibration. This can loosen the wine’s cork and allow air to enter the bottle and destroy the wine.
3. Wine should be stored in the dark because UV light causes the wine’s proteins to deteriorate.
4. Store wine horizontally to avoid the wine cork from drying out. A dry cork shrinks slightly, allowing air to enter the wine bottle.
5. Humidity around 70 percent is ideal for storing wines with cork closures. This keeps the cork moist and prevents air from seeping into the wine bottle.